The Circle of Ancient Iranian Studies
[ Home ]
[ About CAIS ]
[ Articles ]
[ Daily News ]
[ News Archive ]
[ Announcements ]
[ CAIS Seminars ]
[ Image Library ]
[ Copyright ]
[ Disclaimer ]
[ Submission ]
[ Search ]
[ Contact Us ]
[ Links ]
LONDON, (CAIS) -- A large pot, which is thought to be a prehistoric artifact, was recently discovered accidentally by a gardener working on his patch near the 7500-year-old Sialk Tappeh site in central Iran.
large pot was discovered inside the second perimeter of Sialk Tappeh, where the
gardener was grading the earth to fence his garden,” archaeologist Zahra
Sarukhani of the Kashan Cultural Heritage, Tourism, and Handicrafts Office told
the Persian service of CHN on Wednesday.
team of archaeologists has transferred the pot to the office.
is one of the biggest pottery works ever discovered at the site, with the mouth
of the pot measuring 120 centimetres in diameter.
discovery shows that the second perimeter of Sialk Tappeh stretches over 100
meters beyond the first perimeter to an area where a number of construction
projects have destroyed some parts of the site.
Tappeh has been surrounded by houses that have been constructed illegally over
the few past years.
in the suburbs of the city of Kashan, Sialk Tappeh was excavated for the first
time by French archaeologist Roman Ghirshman and his team in 1933 and then again
in 1934 and 1937.
is believed to be the world’s oldest ziggurat and many artifacts have been
discovered at Sialk Tappeh.
Tappeh consists of two mounds known as northern and southern Sialk, located
about 600 meters apart. The artifacts unearthed in the northern mound are more
ancient than those of the southern one.
early as 3200 BCE, the inhabitants of Sialk used a type of script known as
proto-Iranian (proto-Elamite), whose signs combined pictograms and numerals.
Sialk was eventually abandoned at the end of the Iron Age, before the advent of
studies by Iranian archaeologists indicate that the first houses were built at
the Sialk site about 7500 years ago.
Copyright © 1998-2011 The Circle of Ancient Iranian Studies (CAIS)