The Circle of Ancient Iranian Studies
(CAIS) -- Shahdah Standard which dates back to the
Iron Age, is the most ancient flag which has ever been discovered in Iran. This
flag along with more than 150 prehistoric and historic relics will go on display
for the first time for public visit in Unseen Exhibition in second floor of
Iran’s National Museum from 28th of May.
to Mohammad Reza Kargar, director of Iran’s National Museum, this collection
is consisted of a number of invaluable Iranian national treasures ranging in
date from prehistoric to Qajar dynastic era (1787-1921), which have never gone
on display so far.
Standard, a number of statues which have been discovered in Shahdad, as well as
Lorestan’s bronze relics will also go on display in this exhibition”,
discovered standard in Shahdad is consisted of a squared metal piece, 23.4 in
23.4 centimetres in size, mounted on a 128-centimeter metal axle which the flag
can turn over it. An eagle with opened wings which is in a landing position can
be seen on top of the axle. The flag is engraved with some designs which
depicting requesting water from rein goddess, which reveal irrigation method
which was practiced during the third and fourth millennia BCE in Shahdad.
in Iranian Kerman province, which is one of the most ancient provinces in Iran,
Shahdad enjoyed a very ancient civilization dates back to Iron Age and before.
Shahdad is situated in one of Iran’s famous deserts, Kavir-e Lut, therefore,
it is known as one of the world’s hottest spots.
exhibition was due to be held on February 2007, however since the brochures of
the exhibition were not ready by that time, the exhibition was postponed.
on regulations of Iran’s Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization, the
historical relics which are unearthed during archeological excavations all over
the country, should be transferred and kept in the national treasury located in
Iran’s National Museum.
The idea for establishing a building to house and protect Iran’s cultural heritage came into force in 1917, during which a part of the old building of the Ministry of Science, located north of the Dar ol-Fonoon Technical School, was allocated for this purpose. In 1919, concurrent with the expansion of archaeological excavations by Europeans in Iran, the government of the time set up an Antiquities Department within the Ministry of Sciences. However, during following years, with the increasing destruction of historical sites and plundering of artistic works and growing nationalistic sentiments, some officials spearheaded the establishment of the Association of National Works in 1925 with the aim of preserving cultural relics.
Copyright © 1998-2014 The Circle of Ancient Iranian Studies (CAIS)