cais1.gif (153930 bytes)

CAIS Persian Text.gif (34162 bytes)

CAIS

The Circle of Ancient Iranian Studies


 Persian Section.PNG (9914 bytes)


Home


About CAIS


Articles


Daily News


News Archive


Announcements


CAIS Seminars


Image Library


Copyright


Disclaimer


Submission


Search


Contact Us


Links


Facebook-Button.jpg (107165 bytes)



CAIS NEWS ©

Latest Archaeological and Cultural News of Iran and the Iranian World

 

High Plinth for Stone Lion of Hamadan

 

18 November 2009

 

 

Shir Sangi Hamadan.jpg (75894 bytes)

Shir Sangi in early 1900

Shir Sangi Hamadan1.jpg (72456 bytes)

Shir Sangi in 1950

Hamadan_Stone_lion1.jpg (34251 bytes)

Hamadan_Stone_lion.jpg (70840 bytes)

  (Click to enlarge)

LONDON, (CAIS) -- Remains of the stone lion, one of the ancient legacies of the city of Hamedan, has recently been placed on a high plinth to protect it from further destruction.

 

The ancient statue, which was located on a low platform in Sang-Shir Square, has become dilapidated over years.

 

Vandals have cut scratches and grooves into the body of the statue, whose surface has also been eroded by visitors’ touch.

 

In addition, the rare artefact has been further contaminated by wax dripping from candles, which some local residents, following an old tradition light on the stone lion’s head.

 

“We prepared a plan to save the stone lion in 2007 after receiving several letters from cultural heritage enthusiasts, who asked for the rescue of the statue,” Hamedan Cultural Heritage, Tourism and Handicrafts Department (HCHTHD) director Asadollah Bayat told the Persian service of CHN on Tuesday.

 

A team of experts used appropriate cleansers to strip the wax off the statue and afterwards, it was installed on a two-meter high platform to keep it safe from visitors’ touch.

 

The HCHTHD plans to make a covering over the statue in order to safeguard it against rainfall and sunlight.

 

The statue is 2.5 meters in length, 1.15 in width, and 2.2 in height in its front part.

 

The date of the statue remains in ambiguity. While some accounts denote the statue to the first Iranian dynasty, the Medes (728-550 BCE) and some to the Parthian dynasty (248 BCE-224 CE), since it was found over a mound which was a Parthian cemetery; others believe it was commissioned by Alexander II to commemorate his male-lover and companion, Hephaestion. According to number of historical accounts Hephaestion fell sick and died in the autumn of 324 BCE when the Macedonian army was stationed in the city of Ecbatana for the winter.

 

According to the Islamic accounts,, the statue is one of a pair of stone lions installed at the gate of Hamedan. The Muslim invaders named it the 'Lion Gate' after the invasion of Iran by Arabs in 7th century CE.

 

The stone line was left on the ground in the city until 1949 when Pahlavi II, commissioned the renowned Iranian painter and architect Hushang Seyhun to build the former platform for the statue.

 

 

 

 

Original news bulletin published by Mehr News rectified and edited by CAIS [*]

 

 

 

my_Iran.jpg (13682 bytes)

"History is the Light on the Path to Future"

 

Persian_NOT_Farsi_by_Shapour_Suren-Pahlav_3D2.gif (177309 bytes)


 

Encyclopaedia Iranica


BIPS.jpg (15695 bytes)

The British Institute of Persian Studies


"Persepolis Reconstructed"

Persepolis_reconstructed2.jpg (36944 bytes)

Persepolis3D


The British Museum


The Royal

Asiatic Society


Persian_Gulf_Facebook.jpg (1935028 bytes)

The Persian Gulf

Facebook Page




Please use your "Back" button (top left) to return to the previous page

Copyright © 1998-2015 The Circle of Ancient Iranian Studies (CAIS)